I’ve thinking a lot recently about what it means to “own your story”, and what that looks like for me.
I’ve done some of that here, and nothing bad has come of it. But still I sometimes have concerns about what can happen when you share personal stories on the internet.
Even though I’m anonymous here, I made a decision a while ago to share some blog posts on my personal FaceBook page. So hypothetically, anyone who had access to those can come read my blog whenever. (Though I expect most people only do that when I specifically share a post on FaceBook. And I don’t always share them there for exactly that reason. You can go digging around if you want, but I’m not going to throw it in your face.)
I’d like to say that this isn’t a big deal for me, but sometimes I do wonder whether I’d make that decision today. I do think it holds me back sometimes.
What do I worry about? I guess these kinds of things:
- Will people think that writing honestly about my personal life is unprofessional? Will it cost me a job some day? (I really doubt it, but it’s there.)
- Will people share my blog with my family? ( FYI, I do not want that. Please don’t do that. I need distance from them.)
- Will people I know talk about me to each other, instead of talking to me? (Again, I doubt it, but hey.)
- Would it make people feel uncomfortable talking to me? (Like “Hey, long time no see. Except I’ve read about all your personal issues. How’s that going?”)
I’ve considered starting a new blog but hesitate to because
- I like this one
- I’ve found some nice blogging people here
- I’ve had feedback from people in ‘real life’ who do get something out of having access to my blog
I’d really love your feedback and experience here. Whether you’re someone who knows me in ‘real life’ and wants to address what it’s like to read my blog, or anther blogger who has considered these kinds of blog-boundary issues before, I’d love to read your thoughts. 🙂