I finished my Regency dress! I’m hoping that soon I’ll get some nice photos of the dress being worn. But here are some photos of just the dress, to start.

Dress front
Dress front

And I did manage to hand-stitch the whole thing! Yay! It feels that much more satisfying.

The neckline has a drawstring in the front that you can adjust, tie, and then tuck back inside.

The waistline has a drawstring casing across the front. The drawstring comes out of little holes at each side and passes through two little loops. The gathered edge of the skirt curves up a little in the middle back, so the loops help the drawstring to sit in the right place instead of just getting tied straight across the back.

Bodice back
Bodice back
Bodice back detail
Bodice back detail
Print detail
Gathering!

See my first post Historical costuming! to see the dress coming together.

Here’s the pattern I used. This is the drawstring dress with elbow length sleeves.

Next I’ll be making a half-robe, basically a hip-length jacket, with a crossover front to go with the dress. I’m getting the greeny-gold print on the left ready today!

fabrics

I really love the two prints together! They’re a bit spingy/summery but I think I can get some fun photos of me wearing them outside in this fall weather.

I didn’t start this project for any particular reason; it’s just something I’ve been wanting to try for a few years. So I didn’t make this as a Halloween costume, but it’s nice to have at least part of it done on time for that.

Advertisements