When I was growing up, reading used to be my main pastime.
Reading books, that is.
And then, when I was partway through high school, Facebook became popular. And then when I was in college, I read all the time–but it was for courses. I didn’t have the time to read for pleasure. Or when I did, I was so tired from studying that I just couldn’t read any more.
This year I’ve had quite a bit of free time. I’ve had chronic pain from an injury that wiped me out for about 7 months. I was working part-time, and the rest of the time I was in so much pain that I didn’t feel like I could do active things. I really needed a mental escape from pain, stress and anxiety.
I normally keep artsy-craftsy posts on my Tumblr, but I am so happy about this that I want to share it here too!
I’ve spent the summer collecting materials to make a Regency dress (like what you see in Jane Austen movies). I think of this as historical costuming rather than cosplay because I don’t have a particular character in mind, nor am I trying to reproduce a particular outfit from a movie. But maybe a character will come to mind as I work.
The print with the blue roses is going to be a dress with elbow-length sleeves and a drawstring neckline (see rest of the post!) and the greenish print is going to be a crossover-front half-robe. Basically like a waist-length jacket to wear over it.
I’m completely in love with the color combination. The cashier at the fabric store called the green/gold one “hard to love”. Hard to love? It’s GORGEOUS!
I also spent a long time designing and hand-stitching short-stays to go under the dress to get the right fit.
Here’s what I started yesterday.
Next step is the skirt– shouldn’t be too hard– and elbow length sleeves. I’m not sure if I’m going to hand-stitch all the way down the skirt (48 inches…) but I think I probably will. I’m not too crazy about the sewing machine I have access to at the moment.
There was an emergency when I started out, though. I spent 3 hours pinning the pattern pieces to the fabric, and re-checked at least 6 times. Immediately after cutting the pieces out, I realized that the bodice pieces had the print UPSIDE DOWN!
I know the print is so small, but I couldn’t stand the idea of putting so much work into it and have all the tiny roses be upside down. That would be too sad.
After I’d cooled down a bit I realized that I had just enough to cut out new pieces for the bodice, and use the mess-up pieces for the lining. The sleeves will be the other way around, but I don’t think that will be too noticeable. I probably shouldn’t tell you, because you wouldn’t have noticed otherwise.